Llangattock - Vibon - Avel
St. Cadoc`s Church
Off the B4233, north-west of Monmouth, thirteen names, together with ranks and regiments, are recorded on a large stone Celtic Cross in the churchyard at St. Cadoc`s
To The Glory Of God
And In Memory Of The Men Of This Parish
Who Fell In The Great War
The first name is that of Major John Maclean Rolls, Lord Llangattock, who was killed on the Somme in 1916 (see St. Cenelon`s Church, Rockfield). Another officer to lose his life on the Somme was Captain Colin Johnstone Maclaverty of the 1st Battalion, King`s Shropshire Light Infantry. At one o`clock, on the morning of 18 September, 1916, his battalion was ordered to attack a strongly held German position known as The Quadrilateral. Their objective taken, the Shropshires would suffer some one hundred and sixty casualties. Colin Maclaverty being killed during the opening moments of the battle.
The remaining names of the memorial are those of - Quarter Master Sergeant George Morgan Meadmore, 2nd Monmouthshire Regiment; Lance-Corporal Charles Beadle, South Wales Borderers; Lance-Corporal Northey Carter, Hampshire Regiment; Private William Thomas Feasey, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry; Private William Henry Lawrence, South Wales Borderers; Private Frederick Morgan, Wiltshire Regiment; Private Charles Henry Powell, 2nd Monmouthshire Regiment; Private Edgar Powell, Welsh Regiment; Sapper William George Stokes, Royal Engineers; Private Charles Vaughan, Monmouthshire Regiment and Private Albert Thomas Westbury, King`s Shropshire Light Infantry.
There are several monuments to the Rolls family at St. Cadoc`s. Charles Stewart Rolls, of "Rolls-Royce" fame being buried in the churchyard. A brass plaque on the north wall of the chancel, erected by their sister, commemorates three brothers. John`s name appearing below the badge of the Royal Artillery with the following inscription -
In Memory Of John Maclean Rolls, 2nd Baron Llangattock,
Major 4th Welsh Brigade, R.F.A.
Born 25th April 1870, Died 31st October 1916 At Boulogne
Of Wounds Received At The Battle Of The Somme.
|Also in the church, on the west wall, is a memorial window to Captain
Maclaverty featuring the figures of two saints, the family Arms and badge
of the King`s Shropshire Light Infantry. The dedication reads -
To The Glory Of God And The Memory
Of Colin Johnstone Maclaverty, Captain
King`s Shropshire Light Infantry,
Killed In Action On The Somme 18th Sept. 1916,
This Window Is Dedicated By Geraldine His Wife.
Copyright © Ray Westlake, April, 2002
Return to the War Memorials Contents Page
Return to the Hellfire Corner Contents Section
Visit the Ray Westlake Military Books Online Catalogue